What’s saving my life right now?
That sounds like such a dramatic way to ask a question, right? I first heard that question posed years ago when I started listening to Emily P. Freeman’s podcast, The Next Right Thing. The original reason I clicked was just because I was curious – what did she mean by that? But as I’ve listened to her over the years, it has become a grounding practice for me.
And perhaps for you.
What is saving your life right now?
This isn’t meant to be dramatic. It’s meant to be reflective. It’s meant to cause you to look at your life and consider: What is bringing me joy? What is something I do that is repetitive? What is something I do that is a grounding practice for me? What is fun? What makes me laugh over and over? What am I looking forward to? What is causing me to smile? What is drawing me closer to God?
So, what is saving your life right now?
Let me go first…and these are in no particular order, nor do all of them have deep meaning, in fact, most do not! These seven things are saving my life right now.
- A new walking trail on the back side of my neighborhood. If you remember, we brought a sweet puppy into our family in February. Charlie is a typical puppy and needs to get energy out so I find myself walking her multiple times a day. The walking trail has created a new space to explore. It is quiet and peaceful and gives me a taste of the forest without having to drive to the actual forest.
- Speaking of walking Charlie, this shock collar is saving my life, and sanity, right now! Before you get feisty about a shock collar, know that I literally have not had to shock her even once! She responds to my “heel” command when I press the button that gives a beep. Also, I have no idea what “heel” means, I just know that dog trainers say it, so I do too. Ha! It was $28 and worth every penny.
- A fall puzzle. I love a good puzzle, but don’t typically have them out because of little hands. Now, my kids are older and aren’t messing with my puzzle so I pulled out a new puzzle last week with beautiful fall colored trees on it. A puzzle is something that keeps my mind engaged in a different way and seems to give me some mental space to create and dream. I picked this one up at Goodwill for $2, and it looks like they don’t sell it anymore, but here is a link to a similar one just in case you need a fall puzzle too!
- Every day, between 11 and 1, I am in need of a second cup of caffeine, but not coffee. My recent go-to is Bigelow’s Vanilla Chai Tea. I order mine from Walmart, but here is the Amazon link. It’s delightfully delicious with a splash of milk in it. And it’s perfect to go along with a quick puzzle break.
- A short check in with my neighbor is saving my life right now. We see each other every day, but every few days, we take an extra few minutes to catch up with each other. Sometimes it’s just a “here’s what’s going on in my life today” kind of talk, but other times, it’s a soul check. Both are needed and I am grateful for a neighbor like her. She is amazingly kind and thoughtful and also runs a nonprofit, called Blue Ridge Foster Love that provides essential care items for foster kids. Check out her site, and while you are there, sponsor a backpack for a foster care child. According to Google, there are 5,400 kids in foster care in Virginia right now. So sponsor a backpack or even better, sign up to be a foster care parent!
- Recently, three of my kiddos have been plagued by pink-eye. Insert irritated eye roll by mom. Instead of multiple trips to the doctor, which take a lot of time, I have been able to use our insurance’s telehealth option. Seriously, life changing. If your insurance has the option, use it!
- As you know, I participate in Bible Study Fellowship. Y’all, there is no study like it! If you are wanting an in depth Bible study that will cause you to love Jesus more, BSF is for you! Every day, the questions lead me deeper into scripture that creates a longing for more. I’ve been doing it for 11 years and don’t think I could ever give it up. This is an international Bible Study so there is a class near you! Look it up…now!
So, these seven things are saving my life right now! What about you? Take a few minutes to reflect on it. I’d love to hear from you and know what’s saving your life right now! You can find me on Facebook or Instagram, as well as by email at email@example.com.
In closing, yes these things are “saving my life” in this season, but the one who actually saves your life, for eternity, not just a season, is Jesus. If you ever want to chat about Jesus, let me know, we can meet for coffee.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16.
Thanks be to Him.
Also, for those who responded to my “What’s Next?” post, thank you! I appreciate every one of you! Your input is highly valued and is heard. We shall see what God has in store. For now, I will keep dreaming, keep saying yes to speaking opportunities, and maybe, just maybe, start that podcast and write that book.